Mike Watson, Partner & Head of Commercial Services Group
- 023 8082 0546
- 07917 157 734
Mike is an extremely experienced corporate lawyer having acted for a wide range of businesses, operating in a variety of sectors. Mike joined Trethowans in January 2009 after a number of years with Clarke Willmott Solicitors. Most recently he has led transactions in the IT, leisure, retail, professional services, manufacturing and healthcare sectors.
Mike specialises in acquisitions and disposals (including MBOs and MBIs), group reorganisations, joint ventures, shareholders' agreements and commercial agreements.
Clients and work referrers like Mike's excellent mix of commercial and legal advice and his ability to bring a transaction to completion within a tight timescale and on budget.
Mike is the Head of the firm's Commercial Services Group which includes the Employment, Corporate & Commercial and Licensing Teams.
Legal 500 (2017) "Mike Watson is noted for his track record in M&A and joint venture transactions;"
Chambers (2018) recognise Mike as a Notable Practitioner who is praised for his "very pragmatic" approach. Mike is is highly regarded for his work on a broad range of corporate matters. His expertise includes M&A deals for both sellers and buyers, shareholder and investment agreements, and joint venture matters.
Examples of how Mike has helped clients include:
- Mike was one of the lead individuals on the sale of a precision engineering business to an MBO Team backed by LDC (Lloyds Development Capital).
- He provided advice to the sellers on a sale of their company to a Swedish buyer who was fully listed on the Swedish stock exchange. There was no cash paid on completion, instead the sellers took shares in the Swedish buyer.
- Mike also led a transaction last year in the retail sector where he assisted a client on its "buy and build" strategy by acquiring a company with fifteen retail premises.
- Mike has advised a client in the leisure sector on a broad range of commercial contracts in the last 12 months. These include, supply of services agreements (including a £multi-million master services agreement with a professional services provider), IT/software licences and hardware supply agreements as well as general marketing and supply of goods agreements.
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Disposals
- Group Re-organisations
- Structured Finance
- Joint Ventures
- Commercial Agreements