Tom Hartigan, Partner
- 01722 426969
- 07917 272 373
- Team:Personal Injury
Tom is a Partner in the Personal Injury Team. He joined Trethowans in 2000 having graduated from University College London with a degree in Classics. He qualified as a solicitor in April 2007 after successfully passing the Legal Practice Course at the College of Law, Guildford, and completing a training contract with the firm. He has over 10 years experience in dealing with Personal Injury and Medical Negligence Claims. Tom was promoted to an Associate in February 2012 and to a Senior Associate in October 2014.
Tom handles all types of personal injury cases on behalf of injured clients and has particular experience of dealing with accidents at work and serious road traffic accidents. He has dealt with clinical negligence cases against private hospitals, NHS Trusts and individual medical practitioners. He also deals with complex cases involving catastrophic injuries such as head and spinal injuries.
Examples of how Tom has helped clients include:
- Tom successfully concluded a Personal Injury claim for a client who sustained spinal injuries and multiple fractures following an accident at work which rendered him unable to return to his previous employment. Court proceedings were commenced but the case was eventually settled without the need to go to trial. The client successfully recovered £450,000 in damages for his injuries and financial losses from his former employer.
- Tom acted for two clients who were involved in a fatal road traffic accident. One client was tragically killed in the accident and damages were recovered for and on behalf of her estate. The second client survived the accident and damages were recovered on her behalf for both her physical and psychological injuries.
- A client who had been badly assaulted, resulting in horrific burns, applied to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) for compensation. His initial application was rejected. Tom assisted the client with an appeal to the CICA which eventually resulted in the client being awarded £35,000 for his injuries.
Away from the office...
Tom is actively involved with Headway (the Brain Injury Association) and is Treasurer of Headway Salisbury & South Wiltshire. He enjoys all sports, particularly football and cricket, and is a season ticket holder at Southampton Football Club.
- Brain and Spinal Injury cases
- Medical Negligence
- Claims involving the Armed Forces/MOD
- Fatal accidents